External job announcement (internal applicants welcome)
Position: Deputy Chief Operations Officer
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer
Classification: Unpaid internship
Founded in the philosophical works of the distinguished Prof. Richard Buckminster Fuller, original designer of Tokyo Tower (among many, many other things) the mission of Tokyo Global Engineering Corporation (“TGEC”) is to apply currently accepted scientific principles to the design of projects that cannot be implemented until the emergence of a global state. Headquartered in the North Aoyama Ward of Tokyo, TGEC has employees around the world, and prides itself in its pointedly anti-discriminatory policies, while demanding the same of all its employees. TGEC has two divisions, and two corporate boards: the Operations Division and the Support Division, and the Board of Investors and the Board of Advisors. Within the Operations Division exist the following departments: Bioengineering, Nanoengineering, Civil Engineering, Space Engineering, Global Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, and Communication Engineering. Within the Support Division are the following bureaus: Art, Business Development, Communication, Diversity, Econometrics, Editing, Employment, Finance, General Counsel, Grants, Health, Information, Knowledge, Networking, Philanthropy, Procurement, Reputation, Scheduling, Threat Analysis, Translation, and Workforce Education.
The Deputy Chief Operations Officer (DCOO) will serve as a member of the executive management, as an alternate voting member of the TGEC Executive Committee, the TGEC Planning Committee, and the TGEC Outreach Committee. In collaboration with the COO, the DCOO will assist in directing and overseeing all operations to grow and sustain the organization, managing special projects, and expertly advising TGEC’s CEO.
In coordination with the Chief Operations Officer and executive officers, the DCOO will play a key role in the Corporation by focusing on TGEC’s operations. The DCOO will:
– Serve as an alternate voting member of the TGEC Planning Committee and assist the COO in expertly advising the members of the Planning Committee, TGEC’s Board of Investors, and TGEC’s executive officers to maintain and enhance the strategic plan with the following five components:
o Increase TGEC job pool, including larger anchor employer relationships.
o Augment existing strategic model.
o Explore options for growth.
o Develop the TGEC Boards of Investors and Advisors.
o Build TGEC infrastructure capacity.
– Serve as an alternate voting member of the TGEC Outreach Committee and assist the COO in expertly advising the members of the Outreach Committee, TGEC’s Board of Advisors, and TGEC’s executive officers to maintain and enhance the outreach plan with the following five components:
o Increase TGEC project portfolio, including larger university and government relationships.
o Augment existing outreach model.
o Explore options for outreach.
o Develop the TGEC Operations Division.
o Build TGEC outreach capacity.
– Marshal the Corporation’s resources to the most productive uses, with the aim of creating maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
– Assist the COO in developing and cascading the organization’s strategy and mission to all members.
– Assist the COO in directing and overseeing the organization’s awards program.
– Initiate corrective practices to align members with the Corporation’s goals.
– Maintain and monitor staffing levels and expectations to ensure organizational requirements are always met.
– Compile and distribute dashboard data in advance of every staff meeting.
– Ensure that the Corporation’s decisions reflect the needs of the Corporation’s stakeholders.
– Anticipate changes in both technology and the operational practices of the Corporation to ensure that the Corporation’s programs fully meet operational objectives.
– Exercise expert responsibility in the Corporation for developing and implementing improvements to improve collaboration among all stakeholders.
– Guide and support operational initiatives within the Corporation and between the Corporation and other corporations and stakeholders.
– Advise the CEO and COO regarding operations involving partners.
– Deploy resources efficiently and effectively toward organizational goals, and provide regular feedback so that key staff can continuously improve their knowledge and expertise.
– Play an active role in strengthening and maintaining the management and governance culture and practices that reflect the Corporation’s philosophy.
– Represent TGEC and TGEC’s COO and CEO on relevant committees and task forces, as well as at conferences, committee meetings, and training sessions.
– Undergraduate degree preferred; graduate degree in business or public administration or a related field is strongly desired.
– Leadership experience in non-profit, for-profit, government, or philanthropic sectors, working on operations, growth, business development, strategy, planning, or related issues.
– Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing team in a multi-tiered structure to include professional development and mentorship.
– Comprehensive working knowledge of organizational planning, organizational structure, budgeting, and operations.
– Demonstrated ability to analyze and compile complex data for planning purposes.
– Impeccable communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent the organization internally and externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
– Strong relationship builder, with the ability find common ground, build consensuses, and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
– Strong global awareness and astuteness.
– Ability to successfully navigate in a quickly paced, outcome-driven, entrepreneurial environment.
– Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusiveness, and empowerment.
Please complete a TGEC Form 1, Application for Employment, which can be obtained from TGEC’s Employment Branch at the e-mail address featured on the “Careers” webpage. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. TGEC offers this position as a highly competitive unpaid internship. TGEC does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of anything that otherwise lands the worst of corporations in court, and prides itself in its pointedly anti-discriminatory policies, while demanding the same of all its employees. All persons that believe themselves capable of performing all of the tasks outlined in this announcement should apply without delay.
Qualified applicants will be evaluated by the TGEC Employment Branch’s rating panel to determine the most qualified applicants and will be based upon the degree to which qualified applicants meet the preferred qualifications. The rating panel will refer the top applicants to the selecting official for consideration.
Please follow all instructions very carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.